Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuff Runes or Ruff Runes

Citadel Finecast Resin

Taking a deep look at the new fresh meat resin within the hobby... I must say that what I thought before and what I think now have simply not change. Gotten the prices news and the coming of the resin model its with a steps back that I entered the GW store. Seeing the new stuff coming in... it was with a slow interest that I went to the recruiting wall to see if at least the new prospects were worth it... 

The good news is that I came out of the store with a bunch of audio, books and two Citadel Finecast resin models (Got my hands on Battle of the Fang, finally). The bad news is that I always preferred metal miniatures, loved plastic one's, and hated working with resin... seem it is still the same.

You see a metal conversion is really simple if you have the right tools to play with and for those that have seen my Ogres it is simple to understand how far someone can take the level of a conversion to... but I regress... The point is I will deeply miss the old metal and will probably take better care of the one I have under my possession for they are now Emperor Relics.


RESIN

  1. Yes the level of details seem to appear good... but... if you compare it to a metal figure primed white it is just that... appearance... level of detail are higher in size, meaning less round up details, that's all...
  2. Yes there is less mold wires cuts to do and the findings of the royal line circling the miniatures to be seen less apparent... problem at hand now is that cleaning of details goes into the details area within the miniatures. Straight lines details are now end curved on the miniatures and like forge world... cleaning of mold missing details and bubble scene will require the absolute use of Greenstuff...
     
  3. Yes resin is light weight but old gamers will find this to be a downer for you have less the feeling of playing chess and more the feeling of playing with old green army mens from the dollar store...
  4. Yes tools need to be less professional to carve into the model and less pin tricks are to be needed.... but resin is still resin and you are to water-soap-toothbrush it good for paint to stick on to it for years to come... especially if you live up north like me and where your miniatures might not always be in warm environment's. Varnish will/might become a must ending way of working...
  5. Yes it is more flexible and more easy to cook up to get a pose. Problem is you never want flexibility with paint for it will crack hours of hard work if not stored properly in you transport case. Conversion of flexible long pointy end will need to be kept to a minimum or be reinforced...
  6. Yes resin in the end is cheaper then metal... problem seen is that GW never did priced its miniature by the size of the materials required. Simply look at an HQ, Elite and Troop choice and compare materials needs and prices... Wanting pieces will always be of higher cost...

Verdict is I for one don't see the big flair of detail crisis that those Finecast say they were going to bring under the light. Finecast is for me just that "fine" for it would seem that deep into the miniature details... I have found more hard to reach clean up area to be dealt with than what I am to normally see. Between plastic kits and Resin... ill go for plastics. All I can say of good from the change is that;

"I use to get something I wanted on the spot not thinking about cost or else... now i have the feeling that I will ask myself if in Resin do I really need-it for my project." 


Will see in a few months if I still think this way...
KODIAK